Connect with us


Stay informed, safe amid deadly wildfires

WAwildfire-15Aug19-thankyou2(Aug. 20, 2015) — As wildfires continue to ravage central Washington and force thousands to evacuate their homes, three firefighters were killed near Twisp on Wednesday when their vehicle was overtaken by the wind-whipped flames.

“We are devastated by the tragic loss of three of our Forest Service firefighters,” said Mike Williams, Forest Supervisor on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. “Our hearts and prayers go out to the families and fellow crew members of these brave firefighters.”

Four other firefighters were injured Wednesday, including a Forest Service employee, two state Department of Natural Resources firefighters and a DNR contractor.

The governor’s website lists the following resources for staying informed and staying safe amid the devastating wildfires.

Wildfire status updates

Shelter and housing resources

Updates from the State

State and federal resources

WAwildfire-15Aug19Agriculture-related losses: Contact your local USDA Farm Service Agency office to report agriculture-related losses.

Business assistance: If your business was impacted by wildfire, the Dept. of Commerce has resources that can help.

Driver license and document replacement: If you or someone you know lost their driver license or ID card, the Dept. of Licensing is offering expedited services for individuals affected by the wildfires. The service is available online, by phone (360.902.0172), or in person.

Finances: Resources for handling finances after a natural disaster.

Food and cash assistance: The DSHS Community Services Office in Wenatchee is open and serving clients who may need replacement food and cash assistance as a result of the wildfires. Call 1-800-209-5446 for more information.

Health insurance: Apple Health (Medicaid) clients affected by the wildfires who have questions or problems can call their regional enrollment specialists for help:

  • East Wenatchee: Located at Chelan-Douglas Health Dept. Call 509-860-5590 or 509-886-6419
  • Omak: Located at Mid-Valley Hospital. Call 509-826-8186
  • Republic: Located at Republic Medical Clinic. Call 509-775-3153, ext. 497
  • Wenatchee: Located at Columbia Valley Community Health. Call 509-661-3651

​Insurance coverage: Anyone with questions about insurance coverage related to wildfires can call the Office of the Insurance Commissioner (OIC) at 1-800-562-6900 to speak with experts. OIC has tips for filing a claim after a natural disaster and information for homeowners about wildfires and their insurance.

Lost livestock assistance: Those that lost livestock in the wildfires may qualify for help from U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Livestock Indemnity Program.

Prescriptions and medical supplies: If Apple Health (Medicaid) clients need medical supplies, medical equipment, or medications that have been lost or destroyed by fire, or have become inaccessible due to evacuation, the Health Care Authority is authorizing providers to furnish these without pre-authorization.

Protect your home from wildfires by creating defensible space.

State park burn ban alerts by park.

State park closures: Stay up to date via State Parks Twitter or Facebook.

Tax assistance:

Tree grower assistance: Growers who lost trees to wildfires may qualify for help from U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Tree Assistant Program.

Unemployment assistance: Workers and businesses impacted by wildfires may qualify for unemployment benefits or assistance.

Veteran assistance: Veterans who have been affected by wildfires and need help should contact their County Veterans Program.

What you can do

Red Cross: You can donate to the Red Cross or ask about volunteer opportunities. Any amount is helpful. Call 1-800-RedCross or donate online.

State employees can donate to the wildfire relief campaign online or through their pay checks through the Combined Fund Drive Wildfire Relief Campaign

Social media related to #waWILDFIRE

CHECK OUT THE UNION DIFFERENCE in Washington: higher wages, affordable health and dental care, job and retirement security.

FIND OUT HOW TO JOIN TOGETHER with your co-workers to negotiate for better wages, benefits, and a voice at work. Or go ahead and contact a union organizer today!